Take a look at these videos, filmed for The Secret County magazine in partnership with The Royal British Legion. Hear people talk about their experiences of WW2 and watch a reconstruction of the Home Guard’s bicycle patrol route around Bletchley Park.
Blackpool is one of the UK’s best seaside holiday destinations, hosting spectacular aircraft displays every August.
This year, the world famous Red Arrows will be there to surprise the crowds with jaw-dropping aerobatics from the 7th to 8th August. Fans of flying sport will also be able to see the Typhoon, Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Bomber fly over Blackpool’s South, Central and North Piers.
It’s a great family-orientated event, with spectators lining the length and breadth of the Promenade up to nearby Bispham. The presence of commentators, the press, local dignitaries and TV personalities adds to the feel-good festival atmosphere.
While you’re there, be sure to see the Comedy Carpet at the heart of Blackpool’s Central Pier. Created by artist Gordon Young, it’s a huge visual representation of the jokes, songs and catchphrases of over 1,000 comedians.
The Comedy Carpet is a favourite back-drop for selfie-taking visitors, and reading the quotes is truly inspirational.
The aircraft display is free and creates a real buzz as tourists flock to the Fylde Coast to watch. Remember to book in advance, as it coincides with the summer holidays!
Hotels, bed-and-breakfasts, self-catering and caravan accommodation all have their ‘No Vacancies’ signs up, much to the dismay of those who haven’t secured anywhere to stay for the weekend.
Our tried-and-tested top places to stay:
- The Beach House: 5* self-catering apartments located in picturesque Bispham
- Queens Mansions Holiday Apartments: 5* self-catering apartments with sea views, also in Bispham
- Sea-Cote Holiday Apartments: apartments with sea views and a 3* Visit England Tourist Award
- Chellow Grange Holiday Flats: ideal for those on a smaller budget but with high-end taste, these flats are located on Queens Promenade (a few yards away from the private Formula Go-Karting Track) and have sea views
- Camelot Sea Front Hotel: a family-friendly bed-and-breakfast right on the South Promenade offering views of the lovely Irish Sea
If you miss this year’s air show, do not despair, as a few weeks later you can secure a spot somewhere on the Promenade to watch the Blackpool Firework Championships, followed by the Blackpool Illuminations that welcome in the winter and Christmas festivities.